The Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics deals with prevention, diagnostics and treatment of diseases of tooth hard tissues (mainly the dental caries), dental pulp and tissues surrounding the apex of the root. The objectives are to prevent these diseases, to diagnose them early and to treat them in their early stages, mainly to replace the lost tooth hard tissues and to restore the functions of the tooth.
The scope of activities performed at the Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics:
Main principles applied during treatment:
- General dental care: Prevention and diagnostics of dental caries and its compications, filling of cavities using various materials, primary root canal treatment in simple cases. These treatments are provided by dentistry students during the practical lessons.
- Special dental care: General dental care for patients with special needs related to their general health conditions or mental disabilities. Furthermore, primary root canal treatment in complex cases and root canal retreatment.
- Consultations: Consultations requested by general dental practitioners. After the patient is examined, a treatment plan, including alternatives, is suggested. If required by the patient's health condition or the nature of the treatment, the treatment is performer at the department. Otherwise, the patient is referred back to the referring general dental practitioner.
- Scientific activity: The dentists of the department carry out scientific work and publish their results in domestic or international scientific journals. Currently, the topics dealed with are dental pulp stem cells and ergonomics in dentistry.
- Teaching activity: The main activity of the dentists of the department is teaching of students of Dentistry and other branches. They participate in both theoretical and practical lessons of preclinical and clinical education, both in Czech and English.
- All treatments are performed in local anesthesia.
- The operation field is, apart from specific exceptions, isolated with rubber dam, which increases the safety of the treatment, the comfort for the patient and for the dentist, and the prognosis of the treatment.
- Modern methods of treatment are used in accordance with the current knowledge.
- The financial participation of patients on the treatment follows the rules of the public health insurance and the price list. The individual prices are calculated according to the costs of the particular treatment.